MSCMS: new dll

Hans Leidekker hans at it.vu.nl
Sat Sep 18 14:50:01 CDT 2004

On Saturday 18 September 2004 19:47, Robert Shearman wrote:

> Is adding this to the Wine tree likely to break more apps than it fixes?

Well, I don't have real numbers but MSCMS 2.0 is around since Windows 98,
so I'd say most apps that use it expect it to be present. Those are broken
on Wine now, so if we can add basic MSCMS functionality to Wine some of these
may start to work.

> How much work will you be doing on this library?

Hey, this is open source! It's hard to say but I will attempt to get that
basic functionality done. One could argue that because it's not certain when
MSCMS will be done we should add anything already done to the central
repository sooner rather than later, for others to see and build upon.

> Will we get into the same state as SHDOCVW where the DLL is essentially
> useless?

SHDOCVW needs the Mozilla based ActiveX control right? If I understand your
question you're worried that because people don't have liblcms installed
MSCMS will be useless. Well, I know liblcms is part of SUSE, Mandrake and
Debian. It's not in Fedora Core but it is in Fedora Extras.

liblcms (LittleCMS) is only 384Kb so we could also consider statically
linking it, an option pretty much out of the question for the Mozilla
based control. A third option would be to build LittleCMS as another dll
(it support this), implement MSCMS on top of it, and simply ship that
as another Wine specific dll.

Does that answer your question?

 -Hans