MSCMS: new dll

Mike Hearn m.hearn at signal.QinetiQ.com
Mon Sep 20 03:44:51 CDT 2004

> liblcms (LittleCMS) is only 384Kb so we could also consider statically
> linking it, an option pretty much out of the question for the Mozilla
> based control.

Actually we pretty much have to "statically link" the ActiveX control as
it must be built as Win32 code. In fact the easiest thing to do is
simply download the prebuilt version from Adams webpage, as compiling
Mozilla is sort of a pain, then drop the PE DLL into c:\windows\system.

If it weren't for Alexandres dislike of binaries in CVS I'd have asked
for it to be put in there already seeing as the number of people who
have it installed is roughly zero. Currently we just say "download it
from the website" but unfortunately it seems most packagers are not
aware of its presence and do not include it. Ditto for the other
binaries Wine can use but aren't included in the source tree
(stdole32.tlb, fonts, etc)

This is just a variant of the "no community developed binary packages"
problem coming back to bite us ...

> A third option would be to build LittleCMS as another dll
> (it support this), implement MSCMS on top of it, and simply ship that
> as another Wine specific dll.

Hmm, lesser of two evils here:

- Include LittleCMS and increase the build time but make Wine easier to
   install [correctly]

- Don't include it and have yet another magic dependency that isn't
   detected by packager build systems, and results in mysterious
   failures at runtime alerted only by a fixme that may be drowned
   out in others.

At some point somebody needs to compile a list of all the optional
dependencies we use so packaging systems that support the concept of
recommended/suggested packages can get this right.

thanks -mike