MSCMS: new dll

Mike Hearn m.hearn at signal.QinetiQ.com
Mon Sep 20 09:53:27 CDT 2004

> We should have a binary package on our SF site.

Well, do you mean a package of drop-in files for your virtual windows
drive? If so then I agree, but it'd make sense to have some support for
this in wineprefixcreate, something like:

overlay_dir="@libdir@/wine/windows-drive-binary-overlay"
if [ -d "$overlay_dir" ]; then
	cp -r "$overlay_dir" $WINEPREFIX/drive_c/
fi

And then the binary package can just be a tarball you can extract to
/usr/lib/wine or somesuch (lib as it's not arch-neutral).

In theory then binary packagers would include them in their packages. In
practice quite a lot of users either install Wine from the source, or
use packages built by people who don't track Wine development (*cough*
gentoo *cough*) so this wouldn't solve the problem for a lot of people.

Perhaps a notice at the end of the configure script in big loud letters
saying "YOU SHOULD DOWNLOAD HTTP://WHATEVER/! DO IT! DO IT NOW!" would
help.

Some packagers quite clearly ignore changes in Wine itself and just bump
the date when there's a new release, but I don't think there's anything
we can do about that except have a generic downloader program which
would download the binary package as needed. That'd be very silly
indeed. Probably best to just let those users lose.

> What do we need in there? I would guess:
> 	- Mozilla Active X
> 	- fonts

A stdole32.tlb, the program Huw posted can be used to generate it (on
Windows) and it only has to be done once. Of course hopefully at some
point that will be moving into the build system. Until it does, we can
stick it in there.

Hmmm. I think that's all we need right now.

Maybe in future if we get some documentation in WinHelp or CHM format,
we could put the generated binary files there too. Obviously we don't
need that currently ...

thanks -mike