RFC: more Windows-NT like user directories?

Juan Lang juan_lang at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 20 10:28:41 CDT 2004

--- Mike Hearn <m.hearn at signal.QinetiQ.com> wrote:
> Why the change? Being more NT-ish isn't necessarily
> a good thing.

More consistency, mainly.  Sometimes things go to
c:\windows\profiles\Administrator (regardless of
username), and othertimes they go to
c:\windows\something or other.

That, plus I only have an NT-ish system around to test
with at the moment :)

> Currently Wine ignores multi-user stuff and
> delegates it to the host
> system. As your fake windows drive is probably
> already in $HOME having a
> separate Documents and Settings directory seems
> superflous.

It does, but so's the current code, which writes to
~/.wine/drive_c/My Documents or some such place.

When I run wineprefixcreate I only get two drives, c:
and z: (which maps to /).  Should there be a $HOME
drive mapping, and should I point the "my documents"
directory to that instead?  I don't think populating
your home directory with a "Temporary Internet Files"
and a "Templates" directory is actually a good
thing--these should probably be hidden in the fake
drive c:.

--Juan