MSCMS: new dll

Vincent Béron vberon at mecano.gme.usherb.ca
Mon Sep 20 11:26:23 CDT 2004

Le lun 20/09/2004 à 11:53, Mike Hearn a écrit :
> > A 'lot' is a bit of an exageration. It seems our binary packages are
> > quite popular, please check the download stats (apprently they have been
> > fixed as of late on SF :)). So getting our packagers to include them
> > would be a great step forward. Also, providing a separate package for
> > the folks that insist to build from source (under Support Files), would
> > solve the problem for most of the other users.
>
> We get ~6000 downloads a day right now which is OK but not that great,
> given the size of the project.

~30000 for the last 7 days. Yes, I'm surprised to see that, for example,
the French translations of Mozilla/Firefox/Thunderbird score higher
downloads than Wine. Maybe switch to bi-weekly releases, as Gaim?

> There are the other following sources
> which are not tracked:
>
> - People following CVS
> - People using the source releases

The primary mirror for the source releases is sf.

> - Gentoo users, Debian users, FreeBSD users, FoobarLinux users who use
>    apt-get or equivalents and so on.
>
> I would not be at all surprised if added up, the downloads from these
> sources outnumbered the SF.net downloads by a fair bit. After all,
> Alexandre felt that keeping ./tools/wineinstall was worth it even though
> it doesn't do much these days simply because so many users would ask
> (more) questions otherwise ...

I think we need to better advertise major build/usage changes in Wine.
The change to dosdevices still brings a lot of questions in #winehq,
mostly from people modifying their config and finding nothing changes in
Wine. People still want to change version on the commandline, or set
desktop, or use --debugmsgs.

Once in a while, I think a change which actually breaks things is good,
as it forces people to learn the proper way to do something, and not
rely on second-hand knowledge from 4 years ago. Of course letting the
user know how to put it back together quickly is required :)

Vincent