Getting winebuild to work on HP-UX

Eric Frias efrias at syncad.com
Thu Sep 23 15:08:12 CDT 2004

Firewall/CSI at cimmetry.com writes:
> I guess my main question is: why is so much assembly needed there - can
> some or all of it be replaced by C code (at least on platforms where you
> never need to interact with real windows libs - like sparc/solaris and
> pa-risc/hpux)?

I'm afraid I won't be a lot of help right now, but I might be able to offer
some moral support.  I've spent several weeks last year trying to get
winelib working on HPUX, but I don't really have anything to show for it.
Before I could get anything working, I had to abandon HPUX and work on
fixing up Linux and Solaris stuff because it was in higher demand.  I'll
eventually need to get HPUX working also, but I won't be able to devote too
much time to it for at least a month.

I was in the same situation as you are... very rusty at x86 assembly, able
to comprehend a little sparc assembly, but I didn't know a thing about
pa-risc.  I was simply typing make, letting it run until it had some error
because HPUX wasn't supported, coming up with some fix for it, and
repeating.  Some days I felt like I almost grasped what was going on and how
to fix it, and some days it felt like it was miles away.  I never got all of
wine compiling, so I have no idea if any of the fixes I made were correct or
not.  I'd be happy to share them with you, but seeing them might do you more
harm than good.

Anyway, good luck, and if you weren't looking for an excuse to learn pa-risc
assembly, well, you have my sympathies.  I'm told it builds character :-)

Eric