wine/loader preloader.c

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Fri Sep 24 11:48:07 CDT 2004

Mike Hearn <m.hearn at signal.qinetiq.com> writes:

> What's the reasoning for this change? I thought the preloader should
> not be built as a PIE because otherwise the kernel could map it into
> one of the areas we need to reserve.

No, it makes no difference, you also need to link it differently to
make it relocatable.

> There is a patch in bugzilla (I guess you saw this) to ensure -fno-pie
> and -fno-stack-protector is passed to gcc for the preloader.

I don't think we want to add -fno-xxx for all possible options that
people somehow might think it's a good idea to use. If people want to
mess with the flags, fine, it may help us catch problems like with the
-fomit-frame-pointer thing; if they don't understand what they are
doing and break things, too bad. We should follow the Unix philosophy
and not try to prevent people from doing stupid things.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org