Upgrade management

Mike Hearn m.hearn at signal.QinetiQ.com
Tue Sep 28 09:22:31 CDT 2004

> 1. It is more than common to use more than one wine version on the same
> prefix. So what will the older version do. is it always future compatible?

Yes, hopefully. There are limits to what we can do here though, I suspect.

> 2. Please do not silently touch a user's wineprefix. Users are used to
> have their wineprefix untouched. It is common practice to have a good
> solid production environment. And than try a new wine to see if a
> particular issue was fixed. The last thing they need is to later see
> that something was broken.

What if the fix they need is actually a change to the wineprefix?

> Just have the check in place. and do a big
> FIXME. Than if the user uses a --upgrade command line switch.

There is evidence that users don't see or ignore such warnings :(

> The actual
> upgrade is made. Or Just have the FIXME instruct the user to directly
> use wineprefixcreate for the upgrade. This way the user knows he/she
> needs to backup before running the new wine.

If you aren't confident that an upgrade won't break stuff you can always
manually back up the wineprefix before running the new version, I don't
think we need to do anything ourselves. Most users won't be
administering production environments, and for them automatic upgrades
would be helpful.

thanks -mike