Upgrade management

Mike Hearn m.hearn at signal.QinetiQ.com
Tue Sep 28 09:48:11 CDT 2004

> I don't know, better safe than sorry. You are touching users Data here.
> they should have an informed choice. A message box, something? maybe
> refuse to run, than he will notice.
 >
> So a first time newbie installs wine and is very happy with it. After
> 1/2 a year he feels more confident and the new release fixes a game he
> likes or something, He tries it out and his old setup is broken. Than
> what he think off wine? Unless we state it in bold letters in every
> possible documentation (and have a cancel flag like --noupgrade) than
> you must confirm with the user.

Wouldn't it be better to do good testing and have, ooh, I don't know, a
beta testing program? In other words, to ensure we *don't* mangle the
users data?

I'm not sure we should design this system on the assumption that we suck
and will probably blow things up. I don't know of any other programs
that use such a mechanism when upgrading!

thanks -mike