Progress Bar: Fix Class Style & Repainting (resend2)

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Tue Sep 28 15:05:53 CDT 2004

On Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 12:12:09PM -0700, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> Robert Shearman <rob at codeweavers.com> writes:
>
> > Changelog:
> > - Fix class style to include the hbrBackground member.
> > - Fix repainting issues introduced by this change.
> > - Add WM_ERASEBKGND handler and remove background drawing code from
> > the WM_PAINT handler.
>
> Isn't that going to cause a lot of flicker?  This was the reason for
> the existing code, because otherwise it looks really bad with apps
> that update the progress bar a lot.

Indeed, IIRC I've tried to have as optimum background drawing code
as possible (in terms of overwriting areas, etc), as flicker in the
progress bar would look rather ugly.

We have to be careful with these sort of changes, in that there are
some controls that work real hard to avoid flicker as much as possible.
Yes, the code is bigger, more complicated, and maybe sometimes not
100% the way MS does it. But if it doesn't cause any problems, having
a good looking control is important IMO.

--
Dimi.