Riched20: thanks + regression "beta" not shown

Brian Vincent brian.vincent at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 13:22:05 CST 2005

On Apr 1, 2005 11:37 AM, Phil Krylov <phil at newstar.rinet.ru> wrote:
> On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 18:04:32 +0200
> Tobias Burnus <burnus at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> > Hmm, I think the reason for my boxes was that I didn't install
> > symbol.ttf from Windows (I had only a "Symbol Set BT" and bitmap fonts
> > before).
>
> Yes, I also noticed some problems with font substitution...

The problem I've noticed is if there is only one truetype font
available, and thanks to the new Marlett replacement there is exactly
one on a default install, then it gets chosen to display any truetype
font.  This is easily seen when using Word Viewer 2003, all fonts in
the document will use Marlett.

Steven - you mentioned there was a Tahoma ttf replacement on the way
from ROS?  Greenville?  Has it been completed?

With regard to making our own replacement fonts, I think there's
already a sufficient amount of fonts out there we could potentially
use.  Of course we'd need to contact the authors, but I'm sure we
could just "import" an existing one into fontforge.  I sent this email
a few months ago:

The issue of fonts came up a while ago and I know some people are
working on free replacements for some of the core fonts.  Anyway, I
stumbled on this resource tonight with a huge listing of fonts:
http://cgm.cs.mcgill.ca/~luc/originalfonts.html

Seems like there's got to be a few decent ones in there the authors
would be willing to let us use and relicense.

Another thing I just thought of is glyph tracing.  Maybe this would be
a good time to explore our OSDL legal resources.  In theory, it's
legal to take an existing font, trace the outlines of the glyphs, and
use that to create a new font set.  Fontforge has more info on how
that works.  It would be interesting to find out if there's a
precedent for doing that.

-Brian