Wine device drivers proposal

C. Scott Ananian cscott at cscott.net
Sun Apr 3 19:20:48 CDT 2005

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005, Troy Rollo wrote:

> run into problems with timing issues. Interrupts pose a particular challenge
> in that ideally the process handling the device should be activated
> immediately, and the Linux kernel currently provides no interface to say
> "switch to this task now" - the scheduler code simply does not provide for it
> (which is a shame, because a directed yield call with an associated call to
> return the remainder of the donated time slice(*) to the donor would be a
> "simple" way of radically improving the performance of anything that uses
> wineserver).

Um, I'm fairly certain that rendezvous via any kernel synchronization
mechanism (semaphores, condition variables, etc) will do exactly what you
want.  The blocked task goes to sleep and the rest of the time slice is
preferentially transfered to the newly-active task.  Such a mechanism is
much more general than your proposed special interface, and accomplishes
the same end.
   --scott

JMBLUG SARANAC MI6 mustard KUBARK quiche ammunition TASS ODEARL Mossad
nuclear security SEQUIN KUHOOK Moscow shotgun TPAJAX jihad NRA Suharto
                          ( http://cscott.net/ )