PGP signing party

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at shemesh.biz
Mon Apr 4 10:08:08 CDT 2005

Last year's raving success (I exchanged keys with Marcus) gives appetite
for more.

So, if you always wanted to have a PGP key that most of the free
software will know [1].
If you wanted to be able to carry out encrypted secure conversations online.
Or if you just want a chance to brag about what well connected key you
have [2].

We will (try) to hold a PGP key signing party at wineconf this year. In
order to participate, it is positively absolutely necessary that you:
1. Have a PGP key. You can generate one for yourself using gpg.
2. Send the PGP key finger print to me AT LEAST A WEEK BEFORE THE
CONFERENCE. Any later then that, and it is not certain that we'll manage
to get your key on the printed piece of paper that is necessary for
carrying out the party.
3. Bring a copy you can trust to wineconf, to make sure other people are
really signing your key (i.e. - that I'm not pulling anybody's leg).
4. Bring an identifying ID to wineconf. Two is preferable. Passport or a
driver license in a language people can read. If you can only bring one,
a passport is definitely preferable.

The full details of what a key signing party is, why are the procedures
as they are, and what's so important about *not* signing the keys with
your laptop at the party can be found at
http://www.cryptnet.net/fdp/crypto/gpg-party.html

Note: No aliases on PGP keys. If your PGP key says "lord master of
compiler optimization", then your passport had better say the same or no
one will be able to sign your key.

          Shachar

[1] My key is signed by RMS himself
(http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0xCDBDBCE2). This
means that any key that I sign is just two keys away from the very
inventor of free software.
[2] See [1]

--
Shachar Shemesh