real SetProcessClass and SetThreadPriority support

Robert Shearman rob at codeweavers.com
Tue Apr 5 23:04:05 CDT 2005

Robert Reif wrote:

> Are there any plans or is anyone working on mapping Windows
> SetProcessClass and SetThreadPriority support to linux process
> priorities on kernels that support CAP_SYS_NICE?

Mapping Win32 thread priority levels to Linux nice levels is fairly
trivial, but convincing kernel developers to allow unprivileged
user-space programs to control thread priorities is the big problem. The
last time a discussion like this came up, we (Wine developers and Cedega
developers) requested a way of changing a thread's relative priority
within a process (without affecting the overall CPU time the process
gets). This should be a good compromise between meeting applications'
needs and preventing unprivileged applications from freezing the
computer. AFAIK, this hasn't been implemented yet.

Rob