Problem with CyberKnex Programmer program and direct LPT1 port access

Terry Barnaby terry1 at beam.ltd.uk
Fri Apr 8 09:24:52 CDT 2005

Hi,

I am trying to get the K'nex CyberKnex Programmer Windows program
working under wine on Fedora 3. It appears to be generally working but
this program needs direct access to the LPT1 parallel port to drive an
external "flash key" programmer.
I am using wine 20050310.

If I try this I get an error stating that the program cannot access the LPT1
parallel port. I note an error message, from wine, stating:

"fixme:vxd:VXD_Open Unknown/unsupported VxD L"driverx.vxd". Try setting Windows
	version to 'nt40' or 'win31'"

I have tried setting the "Windows" parameter to "winxp" and setting
"export WINEDEBUG=+io,+int,+vxd;". This still does not
work I get the error messages:

fixme:setupapi:SetupDiClassGuidsFromNameExA
trace:vxd:DeviceIoControl (0xffffffff,222074,0x7e8e00b4,4,(nil),0,0x72c9f57c,(nil))

I understand, from reading mailing lists and looking at the program, that the
program is using a DLL which has the capability of loading an embedded VXD
driver to access the LPT1 port.

Some questions:
1. Should this VXD driver loaded when the window system is set to "winxp" ?
2. Is there any way I can get this program to communicate with the LPT1 port ?

Cheers

Terry