Problem with CyberKnex Programmer program and direct LPT1 port access

Andreas Mohr andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de
Fri Apr 8 09:46:37 CDT 2005

Hi,

On Fri, Apr 08, 2005 at 03:24:52PM +0100, Terry Barnaby wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to get the K'nex CyberKnex Programmer Windows program
> working under wine on Fedora 3. It appears to be generally working but
> this program needs direct access to the LPT1 parallel port to drive an
> external "flash key" programmer.
> I am using wine 20050310.
>
> If I try this I get an error stating that the program cannot access the
> LPT1
> parallel port. I note an error message, from wine, stating:
>
> "fixme:vxd:VXD_Open Unknown/unsupported VxD L"driverx.vxd". Try setting
> Windows
> 	version to 'nt40' or 'win31'"
DriverX appears to be a commercial driver for I/O and parallel port access etc.
You might want to implement a DriverX replacement driver in Wine,
since probably several programs use this solution.

> Some questions:
> 1. Should this VXD driver loaded when the window system is set to "winxp" ?
As has been said for many years, Wine won't load VxDs.

> 2. Is there any way I can get this program to communicate with the LPT1
> port ?
If you can trick it into doing direct port access (changing windows version!)
or using the parallel port access methods available on Windows,
then yes, otherwise no (you WILL have to create a DriverX replacement driver
in Wine).

Otherwise try things such as qemu / win4lin / vmware.

Andreas Mohr