Borrowing NTVFS layer from Samba4 for Wine?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Apr 13 22:56:58 CDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 12:48 -0700, Daniel Kegel wrote:
> Apologies if this is an old idea, but:
>
> Tridge's remarks in his recent interview make me think
> maybe Wine should be using the same NTVFS layer that
> Samba4 does.   Who knows, maybe it'd be an easy fit...

This is an idea I like, and while I don't think it will become the
default way wine operates ever, I wonder if a suitable abstraction layer
might assist us.

I see it this way - wine will need a full NTFS redirector at some point,
to correctly handle remote fileystems.  Why is the local disk any
different from a remote redirected filesystem?  Samba could be hooked in
at this point (and my even assist in providing access to those remote
files).

I also don't know much about win32 programming, but anyway :-)

Andrew Bartlett