crypt32: CryptProtectData/CryptUnprotectData

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Thu Apr 14 08:44:34 CDT 2005

Kees Cook <kees at outflux.net> writes:

> I don't like the ssh-agent idea because not everyone uses ssh-agent.  If
> inventing a data format and XORing stuff is prefered, I can write it
> that way.
>
> What direction should I take this?

You should do this as close to Windows as possible, so that it's
easier to adapt it to work correctly later on. If you do everything
right except you replace the encryption step by a dummy XOR, then it's
obvious how to fix it. With the registry approach, if someone wants to
fix it they first have to rip out all the code and restart from
scratch; that makes it much less likely that it ever will get fixed.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org