Multimedia Control Panel question

Eric Pouech pouech-eric at wanadoo.fr
Sun Apr 17 03:37:41 CDT 2005

Paul van Schayck a écrit :
> Hey Robert,
>
> On Apr 12, 2005 7:15 AM, Robert Reif <reif at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>>The proper way to set the default sound card is to use the same
>>registry keys as Windows and either use a native mmsys.cpl or
>>devise a wine specific way of doing the same thing.
>>
>>Creating a builtin  mmsys.cpl is one way of accomplishing this
>>and another way is to add this capability to winecfg.  You could
>>also have winecfg launch mmsys.cfg (native or builtin).
>>
>>Any ideas on what would be the best way for wine?
>

> Just a single registry entry like Windows does is not going to work I
> think. We need at least a third to specify the sound system. We
> already do that but what prevents us from stop using Wine\Config and
> move the sound driver and sound device entries to
> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Multimedia\Sound Mapper?
>
> In my mind the best solution to all of our sound device selection
> problems would be to have winecfg handle the frontend. And drop
> especially the dsound and alsa specific selection methods in the
> config file.
>
> Winecfg would offer the list of drivers. Each driver would detect the
> devices available. Winecfg would get the list of devices with
> waveOutGetDevCaps so we can keep device detection methods out of
> winecfg.
> Optionally we offer a text input field for those drivers where we can
> not discover all devices.
>
> Winecfg would then store the driver and device (ID or name?) in
> Multimedia\Sound Mapper.
> Sounds doable?
>
> Paul

there are two different things here:
- how to install devices
- how to select the default device (when multiple are installed)

the second item should be done as it's done on windows, thru the control panel.
That said, by default, when installing all MM devices, we should also set the
default one (as the first one for example), or prompt the user thru the control
panel to pick up the one he wants

A+
--
Eric Pouech