USB status ...

Hiji hijinio at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 18 15:35:36 CDT 2005

> > --- Lars Segerlund <lars.segerlund at comsys.se>
> wrote:
> > >
> > >  What is the status of wines USB support ?
> > >  Is there anything done yet or am I on my own ?
> > >  Can someone also giva a hint on the
> feasibiliyt,
> > > complexity of managing a USB
> > >  implementation for wine ? I am rather good at
> > linux
> > > device drivers and such.
> > >  / regards, Lars Segerlund.

> > There's not much I can say in the way of
> > development,
> > but as a user, getting USB support (beyond what's
> > supported in the kernel) would be a HUGE leap of
> > improvement for Wine.  I think others have said
> > before
> > that there are a lot of apps out there that will
> run
> > on Wine, but are useless because they depend on
> > their
> > hardware counterpart.  (In the music world,
> > Guitarport
> > comes to mind.)
> >
> > Hiji

> I have proposed several possible solutions for using
> USB under Linux. In fact, I have given 4 possible
> ways
> of doing it, one of which I have hacked up (and
> gotten
> to work, at least partially).
>
> If you're interested in the details, let me know,
> and
> I'll email you (or look at the "Wine device drivers
> proposal" email in the Wine archives in the past
> month
> or so).
> Phew, I thought I'd type a short reply! Interested
> in
> working on this? I can't do it all alone.
> Damjan

There's not much I can do other then try to encourage
you and Lars to work together (as I'm not a C
developer).  Damjan, it sounds like you have already
covered a lot of the groundwork through your research
and understanding of the USB infrastructure (from both
the Windows, Linux and Wine worlds).  Lars, I see you
have both the motivation and experience with Linux
device drivers to work on Wine USB.

To me, it sounds like a perfect match for you two to
pair up and work on implementing additional USB
functionality.

I suppose the last piece missing is to consult the
expert on the wineserver (as far as USB is concerned)
to see if any changes would truely need to be made
there.  Who would that be?

Hiji