Program cannot be run in DOS mode

Brendan Clark Ribera bribera at u.washington.edu
Tue Apr 19 17:41:29 CDT 2005

Hello,

I'm fairly new to wine, and I've encountered a bit of a puzzle.  I'm trying to run a data conversion application under wine, and I'm getting one consistant error:

     [goodweb at kinase wine]$ ./ReAdW.exe
     Warning: unprotecting the first 64KB of memory to allow real-mode calls.
              NULL pointer accesses will no longer be caught.
     This program cannot be run in DOS mode.

This program was written in VC++, compiled on WinXP using Visual Studio .NET 2003.  It uses several proprietary dlls (it's something we *need* to use, though).

To test my wine installation, I tried copying a few Windows programs from another machine (sol.exe, namely): all programs I copied genereated the same output.  I downloaded WinZip, however, and it installed perfectly.  I had similar luck with the Mozilla activex control for Windows.

Does anyone know what could be causing this, and how to fix it?

Thanks!

Brendan Ribera