wine on remote X11 displays

David D. Hagood wowbagger at sktc.net
Thu Apr 21 06:24:03 CDT 2005

IF this happens when using SSH, something to check is what the actual
settings of DISPLAY are:

Normally under SSH, DISPLAY will be set to something like:

DISPLAY=localhost:10

and SSH will forward TCP port 6010 on the remote machine to the local
machine's X server on port 6000.

It *could* be that Wine is looking at DISPLAY, seeing "localhost" and
saying "AHA! This is localhost - I can use shared memory" - which it cannot.

To test this hypothesis, try setting the DISPLAY environment variable to
point directly to the computer you are using as the display (and making
sure that machine is set to allow the remote machine to use the
display), and see if the problem continues.

If it does, then my hypothesis is wrong. If it starts working, then that
would tend to confirm my hypothesis that Wine is being confused by the
"localhost" in the DISPLAY variable.