wine on remote X11 displays

Alex Woods wine-devel at giblets.org
Thu Apr 21 08:11:53 CDT 2005

On Thu, Apr 21, 2005 at 06:24:03AM -0500, David D. Hagood wrote:
> IF this happens when using SSH, something to check is what the actual
> settings of DISPLAY are:
>
> Normally under SSH, DISPLAY will be set to something like:
>
> DISPLAY=localhost:10
>
> and SSH will forward TCP port 6010 on the remote machine to the local
> machine's X server on port 6000.
>
> It *could* be that Wine is looking at DISPLAY, seeing "localhost" and
> saying "AHA! This is localhost - I can use shared memory" - which it cannot.
>
> To test this hypothesis, try setting the DISPLAY environment variable to
> point directly to the computer you are using as the display (and making
> sure that machine is set to allow the remote machine to use the
> display), and see if the problem continues.
>
> If it does, then my hypothesis is wrong. If it starts working, then that
> would tend to confirm my hypothesis that Wine is being confused by the
> "localhost" in the DISPLAY variable.

I have a dual head configurion and I tend to run fullscreen apps with a
DISPLAY env variable so that I can read the wine output.  I recently
started getting this error, so it would appear to happen whenever the
DISPLAY env variable is set, no matter if it's remote or not.  I had put
it down to some xlibs that I upgraded at the same time the error started
happening.  I haven't tried rolling back all the way to the March
release, but I did roll back to 14th CVS, and that doesn't work.  I had
thought that the 14th had worked for me before the library upgrade, but
I am probably mistaken.

--
Alex