Installing Mozilla

Juan Lang juan_lang at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 22 18:31:52 CDT 2005

Alex wrote:
> I'm encountering a crash when trying to install Mozilla 1.7.7 under
> wine.  I am using a fresh CVS checkout, but I've tried older revisions
> with the same result.

So far, this evidence points to a bug in Mozilla rather than in Wine.  It
may very well be triggered by a bug in Wine..

> Here is a backtrace.  It's falling over trying to write to
> 0x99806858.

Mozilla's passing an apparently invalid pointer to WideCharToMultiByte.
Question is, where does this come from?

Running with WINEDEBUG=nls may give a clue what string it's trying to
convert, which may give some indication of the problem.  Running with
WINEDEBUG=relay will probably give a better clue, but be prepared for a
huge log.  But since the Mozilla source is available, you may be able to
hunt it down more easily using that.

--Juan