WoW, er Wine on Windows--Re: Still more fun?

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at shemesh.biz
Sun Apr 24 03:33:43 CDT 2005

Mike McCormack wrote:

> Augustus Saunders wrote:
>
>> As for what we hope to accomplish, well, it might seem like
>> massive overkill to try using WINE, but it's the only
>> plausible way I've come up with.  Basically, we want to
>> substitute all the graphics/windowing/GDI etc so that we can
>> record all the painting/rendering into some kind of WMF type
>> thingy.  The idea is to get screen captures as metafiles
>> that are perfectly screen-accurate.
>

> Sounds like a modified screen driver would do a better job at what you
> want.

I don't know whether a modified graphic driver will capture EVERYTHING
he's trying to catch, but using Wine does not sound like the right
solution either.

I'd use the same injection technique Wine uses to inject my own DLLs
that just forward everything on to native, and then use that to record
whatever is interesting to me. It sounds like what Wine is doing will
only hurt what Augustus is trying to do, not help.

There are also more "Traditional" ways to inject your code into a
process's import table.

> Mike

          Shachar

--