USB status ...Who maintains wineserver?

Damjan Jovanovic dj015 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 26 11:46:06 CDT 2005

--- Mike McCormack <mike at codeweavers.com> wrote:

> > I think it might be Alexander, and I think the
> general
> > suggestion was "avoid changes to the wineserver".
> > Anyone else know?
>
> I'll point out to you once again that Wine is not
> the right place to
> implement drivers.  Drivers that are loaded in the
> kernel in Windows
> also belong in the kernel in Linux, not in Wine.

I don't care about Windows kernel drivers, just
replicating the interface to them from user space
software so that user-space drivers (which are
abundant in Windows) can work.

> Wine cannot present a driver interface to the rest
> of the system, nor to
> other programs.

Winelibs can.

> If you want to get a scanner going, the best way
> would be to make it
> work with SANE or V4L,

Sure, please convince every hardware manufacturer in
the world to release all the documentation for all
their hardware so we can make Linux drivers. There is
a reason SANE and V4L only support _some_ (read: few)
hardware.

> and then get SANE or V4L to
> work with Wine's
> still imaging interface.  That is much better than
> getting it to only
> work in Wine, as other applications will be able to
> use it via SANE, etc.
>
> Have a look at the work that Maarten Lankhorst is
> doing on Web cameras
> ... he's doing things the right way.

> You can continue trying to modify CreateFile,
> ReadFile, WriteFile etc.
> to make it work, but you'll realize sooner or later
> that a handle is
> tied to a unix fd.

In fact, it's tied to an "object" in wineserver: what
fd would HWINDOW and HICON represent?

> This is by design.  Alexandre
> has said time and time
> again that he considers Wine to be just like any
> other application on
> the system; it reads file through the 'nix FS, and
> through unix file
> descriptors.
>
> If you still want to loader the Windows driver, go
> and have a look at
> ndis wrapper. http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/
>
> If you *still* insist that you're going to load
> drivers in Wine, then
> don't be suprised if your patches are quietly
> dropped, and your requests
> for help are quietly ignored.

Then don't be surprised if I make it into a commercial
project :-).

Enough talk, I'm off to code.