CDMA PCMCIA cards on WINE?

NSK nsk2 at wikinerds.org
Wed Apr 27 05:38:00 CDT 2005

Hello,

Somebody from SuSE mailing list told me to send an e-mail to winehq regarding
this:

I have a Vodafone GPRS/3G (CDMA) PCMCIA card. I tried running Vodafone's
software in WINE emulation but it is impossible (it crashes). Is there
anything I can do about this?

Here is more info about this hardware:

# lspci -vv

0000:02:00.0 USB Controller: OPTi Inc. 82C861 (rev 10) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
        Subsystem: OPTi Inc. 82C861
        Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Step                   ping- SERR- FastB2B-
<TAbort                   - <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 0
        Region 0: Memory at 2f800000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

The card seems to incorporate a USB circuit which somehow is connected to an
internal antenna, most probably via some sort of modem. The card had labels
"Qualcomm CDMA" and "Manufactured by Opti". After searching on the Internet I
found the site of Qualcomm ( http://www.cdmatech.com/ ) but I don't know
which chipset the card uses. It can connect to both GPRS and CDMA networks
but it doesn't work in USA (only in EU). Its datarates are 384kbits
downstream and 64kbits upstream (I think).

Vodafone supports this card only on Windows. The card is locked until the
software transmits a PIN code that I type. I am afraid that even if I make
this hardware work on GNU/Linux, I won't know how to transmit my PIN to unlock
it.

Thanks,
--
NSK