Help debugging GLXUnsupportedPrivateRequest failure

Alex Villací­s Lasso a_villacis at palosanto.com
Mon Aug 1 11:26:33 CDT 2005

I downloaded a trial version of a Japanese RPG (Vagrants from Studio
e.go, at http://210.138.120.57/download/extra/vagrants_trial.exe), and
tried to run it under Wine. This is a self-extracting archive, and it
decompresses correctly, but when the main executable (vagrants.exe) is
run, I get the following error:

trace:d3d:IWineD3DDeviceImpl_ActiveRender making new buffer
X Error of failed request:  GLXUnsupportedPrivateRequest
  Major opcode of failed request:  143 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  16 (X_GLXVendorPrivate)
  Serial number of failed request:  9274

I could pinpoint the exact location of the call that fails. The line is
dlls/wined3d/device.c, line 5592, at the call to glXMakeCurrent() in
IWineD3DDeviceImpl_ActiveRender. But I am at a loss a how to fix this on
my own. The function aborts the program instead of returning an error,
as the code intends to check, so it cannot even recover from it. From
what I googled, this seems to be some missing functionality of my X
server (in Fedora 4), but there is no more information on how to fix
this. Could somebody explain this error in more detail, and what can I
do to aid in diagnosing or fixing it?

Using latest Wine CVS (at 2005/07/29).

Alex Villacis Lasso