SMB for FUSE

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Sun Aug 7 12:19:50 CDT 2005

Boaz wrote:
> *Is anybody familiar with this project?:
> SMB for FUSE
> <http://freshmeat.net/projects/fusesmb/?branch_id=45268&release_id=203494>
>
> It looks like a way to send users who need (Semi-transparent) UNC
> support. I was thinking of linking the .wine/dosdevices/unc to the above
> mount point.

In general, I like the idea of use FUSE from within
other projects.  e.g. somebody's doing it with KDE; see
http://kde.ground.cz/tiki-index.php?page=KIO+Fuse+Gateway

But FUSE is not yet part of the standard kernel.org kernels;
see http://kerneltrap.org/node/5329 for recent comments on this.

It's kind of a shame that there isn't a way to use FUSE
without a kernel portion.  One ought to be able to run it
as a daemon or something, at least.  And that would let
you use it with Solaris or BSD, not just Linux.

Anyway, since FUSE is not widely used or very portable,
Wine should be very careful about relying on it.
There be dragons here.
- Dan