[winedbg] Don't ever pass a NONCONTINUABLE exception

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Mon Aug 22 15:17:28 CDT 2005

Glenn Wurster <gwurster at scs.carleton.ca> writes:

> Moving the calling of the debugger into the signal handler takes away
> the dependance on a correct signal stack.  It lets us:
>
> 1) Debug a program without having to modify it's memory to call the
> debugger.
>
> 2) Set breakpoints and single step through areas where the stack
> pointer is incorrect.
>
> 3) Use the debugger even when the application is at it's upper stack
> limit (so we can see where the stack overflow exists).
>
> 4) Examine exceptions and application state when an exception is
> generated while stack pointer is bad.
>
> All these can be done on Windows, and therefore sending events to the
> Windows debugger must be done without relying on the program stack.
> It would make sense for the wine debugger to be equally capable.

Sure, that would be nice, just be aware that it's not acceptable to
break anything in the normal exception handling semantics, since that
has to always take priority over the debugger support. Also note that
we used to handle exceptions on the signal stack, and it was causing
lots of problems, which is why I'm a bit skeptical. Now, doing only
the first chance bit on the signal stack would probably be easier, but
it's still far from trivial...

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org