[Wine]Softlinking to a dvd-drive with inconsistent mount points? => HAL-Support

Jesse Allen the3dfxdude at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 16:41:39 CDT 2005

On 8/27/05, Detlef Riekenberg <wine.dev at web.de> wrote:

> Am Freitag, den 26.08.2005, 12:50 +0200 schrieb Holly Bostick:
>
> >>Problem solved:
>
> > > Thanks Hiji, that was useful for me too.
>
> Thats an ugly workaround that should be forbidden. See Below.
>
> > > It might be nice to be able to symlink "d::" to /dev/hdc
> > > and have wine figure out where that's mounted,
> > > instead of having to specify both the device and the mount point.
>
> IMHO thats the only possible Way and wine must go that Way ASAP!
> (and use the old method for systems, where the new way dis not work)

No. I don't want that at all. Many times I mount a loop back iso image to
/mnt/cdrom. Wine needs to look there first because I'm wanting /mnt/cdrom to
emulate a cd-drive in wine, not have wine look for where /dev/hdc is mounted
and find it's not mounted at all.

In another words, I use the wine environment to emulate disks for me,
without the need of emulation software in wine.