Theming Support

Mike Hearn mh at codeweavers.com
Sun Aug 28 07:30:22 CDT 2005

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 12:28:11 +0200, Jonathan Ernst wrote:
> I think it would be of great value to have windows applications integrate
> semlessly with the linux desktop without having to look for a msstyle
> theme that looks like the same as the currently used theme.

Absolutely!

> http://wiki.winehq.org/ThemingSupport "Write a GTK+ theming bridge so
> Win32 apps get GTK+ themes automatically."
>
> Are we (=you) far away from this step ?

As far as I know, nobody is working on it. I wrote that bit on the Wiki
because it's the logical next step.

One issue is that GTK+ 2.8 (the newest version, just released) now uses
Cairo for rendering. I'm not sure how we should approach this - I suspect
if widgets start drawing themselves without using the GDI stuff will break
in weird ways (clipping and such), so it may need odd hacks like compiling
GTK+ and Cairo as ELF DLLs so they can load native theming engines but
draw using a Win32 build of Cairo.

thanks -mike