Wine device drivers proposal

Vitaliy Margolen wine-devel at kievinfo.com
Sun Aug 28 12:34:31 CDT 2005

Saturday, August 27, 2005, 6:24:21 AM, Evgeny F wrote:
> In message Mon, 28 Mar 2005 02:30:28 -0800, Damjan Jovanovic wrote:
>> I propose adding a driver loading system to Wine that
>> works as follows:
>> -CreateFile() gets a device filename, like (in my
>> case) \\.\MiiScan0
>> -Currently, Wine's behaviour for such a filename is to
>> try load a VXD.
>> -In the case of VXD loading failure, a search is
>> performed in (Wine's) C:\Windows\System32\Drivers (or
>> somewhere else?) for a matching driver.
>>
>> The driver is then loaded and used for (at least):
>> ReadFile()
>> WriteFile()
>> DeviceIoControl()
>> CloseHandle()
> I am doing now a dll which should load scanner microdriver and
> implement all the surrounding API's. Can anybody tell, what naming
> convention Windows uses for USB devices ("\\.\????")?
[skip]

It looks like there are multiple projects going on along the same lines here.
Ivan Leo and me working on this too (making safedisc protected games work on
wine).

So far we have functional DeviceIoCotrol on a device. But no support for read or
write nor synchronization of any kind. Right now it blocks until processing is
complete.

I would suggest to cooperate in this development effort. There are number of
issues to resolve, that a not so trivial. Also there are limits to how far wine
can go in emulating native kernel. Some things are gust impossible to implement
in the same manner.

Please join #winehackers channel on freenode.net to discuss the the subject.

Vitaliy.