opengl support in wine

Tomas Carnecky tom at dbservice.com
Thu Dec 1 14:23:21 CST 2005

Stefan Dösinger wrote:

>Why do you want to hook GL functions? I consider this a hacky workaround for
>bugs which should be fixed otherwise, but I might be wrong with this. The
>only thing I know is a workaround for the fglrx driver, but for Wine, this
>was fixed elsewhere.

I want to create fraps for linux. Using XShmGetImage() and friends is
too slow. So my first
approach was to create a fullscreen opengl app and do glReadPixels().
But this performs
very badly when there are two opengl applications running at the same
time (fps drops from
 >100 down to ~10).
So my last approach was to call glReadPixels() from the same opengl
context (the same
opengl application). This is why I need to hook glXSwapBuffers(). Of
course I could write a
whole libGL.so with all the required functions, rename the real libGL.so
to libRealGL.so,
dlopen libRealGL.so from my libGL.so and propagate the function calls to
the real opengl
implementation, then wine would dlopen libGL.so (my library) and I could
make whatever I
need in glXSwapBuffers(). But this is overkill!

Now what are my options besides modifying the wine source?

tom