DirectDraw over Direct3D

Tim Schmidt timschmidt at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 22:08:49 CST 2005

> Is Starcraft really that slow?   How does this compare with using DGA?
>  I'm not too sure because its speed vaires.  I've been testing
> Starcraft this weekend and it has been plenty speedy.   But I do
> remember when trying to play it multiplayer a few months ago and was
> burned when it ran slow.  In fact it slowed *everyone* down.  Not fun.

I fired up Total Annihilation just yesterday with Wine 0.9.2 and it
was very slow.  TA uses 8bit color and I'm running in 24bit at
3200x1200 (2x 19" CRTs) on a Pentium II 450Mhz with a GeForceFX 5900XT
-- a bit of an odd combination... I know.  If you'd like a speed
comparison, perhaps with associated CPU usage I may be able to oblige.

--tim