Why Steam fails

Ivan Gyurdiev ivg2 at cornell.edu
Mon Dec 5 02:24:00 CST 2005

> Wow, thats really weird...I can also use steam without incident (I can
> even play Half-Life 2,

... Half-Life 2 doesn't even run for me if I get Steam to start up.. it
goes to fullscreen, and freezes the screen (without covering anything
up). I am suspicious of hidden dialog boxes (like in GTA), but I haven't
tried to investigate that problem in detail yet.

> the only issues I get are some intermittent sound
> lags.) Perhaps there's something wrong with your RAM? Have you tested
> any other apps that use about as much as Steam uses (about 200 MB max in
> my experience) on either WINE or native apps?

Xorg? Warcraft 3? Gnome? KDE ? Doom 3?  I've had Half-Life 2 working
back with Oliver's very first patch.. or with Cedega..

I think hardware problems with the RAM are highly unlikely. I've had
plenty of those, and when your RAM is defective, nothing works - you get
spurious kernel panics, and you  will find out that it's defective
really soon.