Why Steam fails

Kuba Ober kuba at mareimbrium.org
Mon Dec 5 08:07:45 CST 2005

On Saturday 03 December 2005 15:02, Ivan Gyurdiev wrote:
> Stefan Dösinger wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> >> It doesn't seem to check the retval of the first alloc, which fails
> >> about half of the time in
> >> wine_anon_mmap (mmap() call) with ENOMEM. If the allocation succeeds,
> >> Steam proceeds to run.
> >> If it fails, Steam dies with the message above.
> >
> > I just started Steam 5 times without a single failure. I can't reproduce
> > the problem.
>
> I think I'm the only one with that problem... and I can't figure out
> what's wrong :(

How's your swapfile size? Maybe your system doesn't do overcommits, thus there
must be enough physical ram + swapfile for all virtual allocations. That'd be
the only thing that I could think of, although whether overcommits can be
disabled and so on I don't know. So I might be just rambling insanely ;-)

Cheers, Kuba