DirectDraw over Direct3D

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Mon Dec 5 14:51:05 CST 2005

Am Montag, 5. Dezember 2005 21:10 schrieb Lionel Ulmer:
> On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 08:17:38AM +0100, Stefan Dösinger wrote:
> > I hope I can come up with a patch for testing this week, then we can have
> > a look ;)
>
> I think that to merge Roderick's and your patch, the best would be to
> directly hook WineD3D even at the 2D level and not have DDraw hook DDraw's
> D3D which then goes into WineD3D.
I thought of the same thing, as DDraw -> D3D7 -> WineD3D -> OpenGL is a quite
long chain. I abadonned it as too much work at first, but it's surely worth
considering.

> This way we would have an unified DDraw.
>
> Of course, then the problem remains of what to do with older cards :-)
How about moving the current 2D code to WineD3D, and making DDraw running over
WineD3D in any case. Then WineD3D could decide wether to use plain X11, DGA
or OpenGL for 2D rendering. :)

Maybe we should have a close look at the details of such a thing. I do not
really recommend a ad-hoc attemt, as d3d7->WineD3D was nearly too much.

Stefan