DirectDraw over Direct3D

Peter Beutner p.beutner at gmx.net
Mon Dec 5 17:39:08 CST 2005

Lionel Ulmer schrieb:
> On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 10:22:23PM +0100, Peter Beutner wrote:
>
>>Isn't indirect rendering always unaccelerated, i.e. done in software?
>

> Nope. Indirect means only that all your OpenGL commands are encapsuled into
> GLX commands and then serialized over the X network link (which could be a
> local Unix socket) and deserialized at the other side before being sent to
> the graphic card.
>
> It may well be that no current Linux GL drivers support accelerated indirect
> rendring (although I think that the NVIDIA drivers support it - would verify
> it if I had GL installed on my head-less server box) and you may be right in
> the current situation if not in the terms to use to describe it :-)

Yup, you're right, that's how it is supposed to work ;)
But iirc it cant work on current Xorg due to the fact that the server-side libglx can't
load the dri driver because the server-side glx<->libGL interface differs from the one on
the client-side. See http://www.cs.pdx.edu/~idr/publications/ddc-2005.pdf.
So all GL commands will go through software rendering via mesa when doing indirect rendering.

Dunno if that applies as well to the closed-source drivers from nvidia/ati which ships its
complete own GL stack.

Peter