Outreach to windows ISVs

Brian Vincent brian.vincent at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 02:04:19 CST 2005

On 12/11/05, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
> At the Desktop Architects Meeting at OSDL, one of the
> big topics was how to make life easier for ISVs that want
> to start supporting Linux.  So I put together a little page

We discussed something similar last year at WineConf about putting
together a page for commercial organizations (including ISV's) looking
to use Wine.  It's been on my to-do list for the last 6 months.. but I
haven't gotten to it.  Just for fun, here's an outline of what it will
contain based on what we discussed at WineConf:

1.  Wine's goal is to make Windows apps first class citizens on Linux.
 While some might not see that as a "real" Linux app, it lowers the
barrier of entry for many folks.
2.  We might not have a CEO or a board of directors, but we have a
real project structure with real commercial backing.
3.  We have professional development tools including version control
and regression testing.
4.  Linux will be part of any solution developed in the next 5 years.
At the very least it will be assessed.  By simply having a version of
software that runs with Wine, an ISV can increase sales of their
Windows software by ensuring they have cross-platform compatibility.

Anyone have anything else to add?

-Brian