DirectDraw over Direct3D

Molle Bestefich molle.bestefich at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 12:04:59 CST 2005

Roderick Colenbrander wrote:
> For old videocards the GL renderer won't work and the

The current state of open source video drivers for Linux is as far as
I know that they only do basic 2D.  For 3D you have to use
closed-source drivers, which is simply not an option for a lot of
people, be that because of stability, compatability or other issues.

Which means that your patch only helps the select few that are using
closed-source video drivers, is that correct?

For everybody else, your patch will mean a tremendous slowdown
instead, is that correct?

> old code should work fine (except for performance issues).

I've never had a performance issue with Starcraft under (recent) Wine,
so I don't think improving Starcraft performance is a very good
argument.  Better to promote other apps from
http://appdb.winehq.org/votestats.php that actually run sluggish?
Just MHO.

That said, I *will* test your patch when I get home ;-).