DirectDraw over Direct3D

Jesse Allen the3dfxdude at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 12:46:09 CST 2005

On 12/15/05, Molle Bestefich <molle.bestefich at gmail.com> wrote:
> Roderick Colenbrander wrote:
> > For old videocards the GL renderer won't work and the
>
> The current state of open source video drivers for Linux is as far as
> I know that they only do basic 2D.  For 3D you have to use
> closed-source drivers, which is simply not an option for a lot of
> people, be that because of stability, compatability or other issues.
>
> Which means that your patch only helps the select few that are using
> closed-source video drivers, is that correct?
>
> For everybody else, your patch will mean a tremendous slowdown
> instead, is that correct?

I have 3D acceleration in open source using DRI.  This patch will help us too.

> > old code should work fine (except for performance issues).
>
> I've never had a performance issue with Starcraft under (recent) Wine,
> so I don't think improving Starcraft performance is a very good
> argument.  Better to promote other apps from
> http://appdb.winehq.org/votestats.php that actually run sluggish?
> Just MHO.
>
> That said, I *will* test your patch when I get home ;-).

Both computers have gotten faster and Wine has probably improved in
performance (Like in Dsound) to make Starcraft faster.  Even though
Starcraft has gotten faster, technically, Starcraft still has the
software depth conversion bottleneck.  It will continue to be like
this until we get rootless DGA or OpenGL handles the 2D.

That said, it does seem that most other 2D games I've tried seem
sluggish besides Starcraft.