Create new mailing list wine-isv?

Michael Jung mjung at iss.tu-darmstadt.de
Fri Dec 16 09:58:06 CST 2005

On Friday 16 December 2005 15:41, Peter Beutner wrote:
> The point is that it won't be integrated in neither kernel or glibc.

Integration in the loader is just one possibility. Wine needs to load code at
fixed positions. Thus, there has to be a possibility to do it. Currently we
do it in a way that some people consider a hack. If this is a problem (and
I'm not saying that it actually is), we would have to fix it. This means we
would have to illustrate our problem to the guys doing the randomization
stuff. Wine is important to many people, so I think they would give us an
open ear and we could fix the issues together.

> Don't get me wrong I still think it is perfectly valid that wine is doing
> that sort of hack to get existing windows applications working but you
> really shouldn't advertise it as a solution to platform independence and
> encourage developers to go this way.

If someone plans to do a new multi-platform project, I'm pretty sure no one in
their right mind would suggest wine to do it. But there is a whole lot of
legacy applications for which the only economically feasible way to port them
to linux might be via wine.

Bye,
--
Michael Jung