Create new mailing list wine-isv?

Uwe Bonnes bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de
Fri Dec 16 14:30:00 CST 2005

    Peter> Michael Jung schrieb:
    >> On Friday 16 December 2005 15:41, Peter Beutner wrote:
    >>> Don't get me wrong I still think it is perfectly valid that wine is
    >>> doing that sort of hack to get existing windows applications working
    >>> but you really shouldn't advertise it as a solution to platform
    >>> independence and encourage developers to go this way.
    >>  If someone plans to do a new multi-platform project, I'm pretty sure
    >> no one in their right mind would suggest wine to do it. But there is
    >> a whole lot of legacy applications for which the only economically
    >> feasible way to port them to linux might be via wine.

    Peter> Agreed. This sums up quite well what I wanted to say ;)

Any new project with multi platform target in mind would probably be created
on a more "library like" library than Wine(lib). However I guess few
projects are created that way. Projects have often a long history, and for
the last year Windows was the only target was windows...

So getting winelib in a more mature fashion will help all those legacy
projects...

Bye
Uwe Bonnes                bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de