Steam Winsock regression

James Liggett jrliggett at cox.net
Mon Dec 19 16:59:30 CST 2005

On Mon, 2005-12-19 at 10:00 +0100, Andreas Mohr wrote:
> I don't think Scott meant it that way ;-)
> Who cares about Wine, here's a change that makes half the machines in the
> network lose connection randomly, that's much bigger things to worry about
> potentially than simply non-working Wine socket functionality...
Of course that's the case here, maybe I didn't say it like I should have
and it came off not quite right. Sorry, it was late at night and I was
tired ;-) In fact, I was thinking the same thing. Hell, I almost
uninstalled wine because of it thinking I should stay away from
something that unstable and potentially dangerous. But maybe it's not
all Wine's fault. Last week my brother and I got together with a friend
of his to play a couple late-night matches of CS Source. I was playing
on Windows XP since Source games don't work so well on Wine yet. For
some reason I can't explain, my network's router kept failing
spontaneously while we were playing, in a similar manner in wine with
the patch. It's possible that Marcus's winsock patch might have exposed
a bug in Source/Steam network code, but I can't prove that yet.

> Thus one should probably attempt to investigate a bit more.
Absolutely. What can I do to help out here?

James