Steam Winsock regression

James Liggett jrliggett at cox.net
Tue Dec 20 02:37:44 CST 2005

On Mon, 2005-12-19 at 23:38 -0800, Scott Ritchie wrote:
> Actually, I meant it might be a security issue for 2 reasons.  The first
> is that taking out other machines is obviously a problem.  The second,
> however, was that you reported it took out the internet of the machine
> Wine was running on until a restart.  A userlevel application shouldn't
> be able to do that, which would mean there might be an internet-killing
> exploit in the form of a winelib app.
Yeah, that could be a feasible scenario, but the problem here is that
the router running my network failed, not the computers. The _router_ is
what needed to be reset, not the machines themselves. Like I said
before, I noticed some eerily similar behavior on windows, so it's
possible that it's not a wine bug. Now that I think about it a little
more, I can remember getting some fixme's from winsock, something about
unhandled protocol family 0 or something like that. Maybe it's more of a
Steam bug then a Wine bug, but again I can't prove that for sure. In any
case, such a bug, no matter whose it is, is a big problem. I'll put my
tree back a couple of days and get the exact fixme's; maybe they'll help
solve it?

James