[lostwages] Remove winetools from download page

Vitaliy Margolen wine-devel at kievinfo.com
Thu Dec 22 11:32:10 CST 2005

Wednesday, December 21, 2005, 8:12:43 PM, Tom Wickline wrote:
> Winetools helps people run programs that they might not be able to and
> it helps them do that now. And that's what 99.9% of end users care
> about, can I run what I want to now? If the answer is no 99.8% of them
> will leave while .1% might stick around and wait on a fix.

Could you please show me some one, or ask them speak up on #winehq. So
for I have yet to talk to anyone there who had used winetools and had IE6
working (that's the main goal of this isn't it?).

Ok it looks like there is 1 person who did use winetools and they worked.

So, Tom, could you please specify the place where I can redirect all the
people who having problems _with winetools_? To wine-users I presume? As
it looks to me that's the place where all the advertisement going on
about using winetools.

Also had an interesting case last night: person had problems with
winetools. When I asked the version, he said it's 3.0.9. So, there is your
problem. Some one packaged winetools and made this version number.

As far as winetools go. I see a really bad patterns there.
1. There is no clean way to install them for a local user to test.
   Winetools are invasive and change too many things and go into to many
   places. This is not the way to package software.
2. It can't use wine from the source tree (again for testing).
3. It's using redundant scripts to like findwine. For what purpose?
4. Those scripts override environment variables that wine and wine parts,
   depend on. Why?
5. It adds some extra needless overrides to the registry, like
   DLLOVERRIDES="*=native, builtin". Is there a reason for this? That
   _is exactly_ what we, developers, trying to avoid.
6. "Version"="win98" - that is wrong. Wine's default _is_ win2k.

Please, we do not need this "quality" "software" linked to from the main
download page. We can have a link to it in user section of wiki. But NOT
the main download page! These "tools" defeat the purpose of what we,
developers, are trying to archive.