[lostwages] Remove winetools from download page

Vitaliy Margolen wine-devel at kievinfo.com
Fri Dec 23 11:24:56 CST 2005

Friday, December 23, 2005, 10:03:54 AM, wino at piments.com wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 17:33:05 +0100, Vitaliy Margolen
> <wine-devel at kievinfo.com> wrote:

>> I'm still insisting...........and in most cases against the law.

> Everyone is responsible for thier own actions. Someone who makes a hammer
> is not responsible for a murder comitted with it.
There were case in US when family of someone killed with such a tool sued
manufacturer if said tool.

> Be a bit careful of the ingenuous arguements you use, they could backfire
> on you and the wine project as a whole.
That's why we have to be _really careful_ what we "officially" recommend
to users. Look at what happened to original Napster. Judge didn't care
what their intentions were. But he did looked at what it was _meant_ to
be used for. So pls don't start this BS about winetools are good, they
help users but use them on your own risk agreeing that you comply with
all licenses.

Authors of winetools know well and good that majority of it's users do
not have valid win98 licence.

> In your post about the download page you refer 3 times in one sentence to
> "wine development" and not once to "user".
Correct. Winetools is made by developer(s) and not users. If it's made by
users, then it has no reason whatsoever to be listed on the same page
with _developed_ programs.

> That is the crux of this discussion . Is wine dev an end in itself , an
> intellectual challenge , or does one of the developement goals include the
> user?
No! It only includes _me_ as a developer, and other people who _asked_
"could it be done this way to make it better for me?". This _is_ open
source. You don't like it - you don't use it or fix it for your liking.
If you have user problems with using Wine, please, don't hesitate, and
_list_ them here. User is too of abstract word, talk about yourself
first. Or ask those "users" to tell us about _what_ do they need from
wine.

> You may not think so but maybe you should check with others before
> insisting too hard.
Last time I've checked this _is_ the place to discuss such a topic.

Vitaliy