[lostwages] Remove winetools from download page

Chris Morgan chmorgan at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 13:07:05 CST 2005

On 12/23/05, wino at piments.com <wino at piments.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 17:42:14 +0100, Chris Morgan <chmorgan at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I'm going to have to side with Vitaliy on this one.  I've helped
> > dozens of users in #winehq that have had problems with wine due to
> > winetools since we made the changes to remove the .config file.
> > Apparently winetools has been upgraded to work with 0.9x versions of
> > wine, this is great news although I don't think we want to promote
> > winetools to users if the authors aren't going to help out in #winehq
> > and provide better overall support.
> >
> > Chris
> >

> Fair point Chris but didnt you have to help dozens of NON winetools users
> due that change as well?

I did have to explain to a lot of users where the .config went and
that they need to use winecfg.  This was quite a bit easier than
trying to figure out if winetools had messed up their configuration.

If the winetools guys want to provide support in #winehq and rapid
releases to fix issues then I'm all for keeping the link on the
downloads page.  Otherwise I'd rather not burden the people in #winehq
with many users that require support for winetools issues.  Another
aspect is the large number of users that come into #winehq asking why
app 'X' doesn't work under wine after winetools said it would.  We are
better off setting expectations at a level we know we can meet and not
adding a burden to those in #winehq that are trying to provide some
kind of user support.

Chris