[wined3d] D3DXCreateFont

Louis. Lenders xerox_xerox2000 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Dec 25 09:31:15 CST 2005

I had the same problem. Problem is they crash when
version is set to win2000. The default windows version
used to be win98 up to a few months ago, if you switch
back to win98, the bug you describe is absent. Louis

I've been using some dx9 tutorial/demo apps that use
the d3dx9.dll.  I got this
dll off the net somewhere (d3dx9_27.dll to be exact).
This is just a utility
library that has some helper functions for D3D apps,
like font rendering etc.

Oliver has mentioned that he uses some of the same
apps for testing wined3d,
which is why I picked them
(http://www.codesampler.com/dx9src.htm).  However,
about half of them call D3DXCreateFont, which always
fails on my system.  As
such, the return font object is null and so the demo
crashes shortly afterwards
when it tries to call a member function through the
null object.  All of these
demos just try to load the "Arial" font, which seems
to be registered.  I'm just
curious how Oliver, and maybe others, are running
these demos if they always
crash at startup.  The demos do pop up a message box
like "D3DXCreateFont:
failed!!!" or something like that, and after you click
the "OK" button, the app
continues anyways, and then crashes soon after.  If
anyone knows how to get
around this font thing I'd very much like to know!

Cheers,
  Aric